Tandem paragliding in the Winelands towns of Franschhoek and Paarl. All take-off sites are “high” sites.
Paarl & Franschhoek Tandem Paragliding
Big mountain flying in the Western Cape doesn’t get any better. For easterly winds, we take off from the 500 million-year-old granite masterpiece that is Paarl Rock (500m ASL). For all other wind directions, we use the stunning Du Toitskloof Pass takeoff sites (800m ASL) as well as Franschhoek (750m ASL)when the weather is favourable. All 3 options offer incredible flying with incredible views. Come find out why we call these mountains our version of the Alps.
What is a tandem paragliding flight?
A tandem paragliding flight is the quickest and easiest way to experience the thrill of free flight while securely harnessed to one of our experienced and accomplished instructors. Adrenaline enthusiasts can live this adventure at any of our world-class takeoff sites: Signal Hill, Lions Head, Franschhoek, Paarl Rock, and the Du Toitskloof Pass.
Those interested in a tandem experience must meet all of our requirements (below). If you do not meet all our requirements, you will not be allowed to fly, and your deposit will not be refunded. We also suggest you read through the Important section (below) for information on preparing for your flight and what to expect on the day. For any other queries, please get in touch with our tandem reservation staff directly.
- Minimum Age: 6 years
- Minimum Height: 1.3 m (shorter pax by special arrangement)
- Maximum Height: 2.2 m
- Minimum Weight: 20.0 kg
- Maximum Weight: 100.0 kg (heavier pax by special arrangement)
- Fitness Level: Average
- What time to arrive:
- Please arrive 20min before your booked takeoff time. Additionally, please plan to spend one to two hours, (i.e. from the time you check-in till the time you collect your media) at our location on the day of your flight.
- What to wear
- Please dress suitably and comfortably for your flight.
- Athletic, comfortable clothes are advised. A jacket/windbreaker is a good idea for cold days and longer flights.
- Hiking boots, sneakers or sports shoes are ideal for your flight.
- If you need to wear prescription glasses or lenses during your flight, please do so. You don’t want to miss that view!
- Paragliding is a weather-dependent activity. High-speed winds, poor visibility, rain and low clouds are just some of the reasons that can delay or cancel our paragliding operations.
- Our team will announce a “standby” in case of bad weather, which means we have to put our operations on hold. Regular announcements will be made updating you on the conditions while you wait at our locations.
- If the weather shows no signs of improving, and we have to cancel operations, and you cannot reschedule for the next available date, you will receive a refund.
- Air School Paragliding is not liable for any costs (travel, stay, etc.) incurred by the individual in the instances mentioned above. Please see our Sales & Refund Policy for information.
- Given the popularity of paragliding in Cape Town, we suggest you book your flight in advance. If you are a tourist and are visiting Cape Town, we advise that you schedule your flight for the beginning of your trip in case it needs to be rescheduled due to bad weather.
- Reservations must be made through the live booking calendar on our official website.
- If you haven’t booked in advance, you may contact our tandem booking staff who will advise further.
- Request to reschedule
- Plans change. We understand that. In this case, bookings can be rescheduled up to 24 hours before their reservation date or risk losing their deposit.
- Please send our tandem reservation staff your request to reschedule your flight using via WhatsApp or Phone.
- On-site facilities
- Card payment facilities are available at all locations.
- Toilets facilities are available at Signal Hill and Franschhoek.
- There are kiosks selling snacks and refreshments at Lions Head and Signal Hill meeting points
- You are welcome to bring your own snacks/refreshments and make the most of your time out on our mountains
- Buy a gift certificate.
- You can purchase a gift certificate online for any location. It’s the perfect present for birthdays, graduations, anniversaries or when you have extreme-sports loving friends visiting.
- Please remember that everyone who paraglides with us must meet our requirements.
- Refund policy
- The deposit is refundable in the case of bad weather.
- We cannot issue refunds for (examples, but not limited to):
- Not meeting our weight requirements.
- Not showing up on time.
- Arriving under the influence of drugs/ and or alcohol.
- Pictures and video
- Our tandem pilots carry a specially mounted camera to take photos and video at various stages of the flight.
- While our pilots are highly trained and use the latest equipment, given the nature of the activity, if the camera equipment does (on the rare occasion) malfunction or there is a technical glitch that is beyond our control, the incident will be escalated to Air School Paragliding’s management for reviewal, and the customer may be eligible for a refund of R299 only (i.e. price of the photos and video). Please note, the decision of the management team will be final.
- Choice of the flying site:
- All our takeoff sites are spectacular with breathtaking scenery. Cape Town has two takeoff sites, viz. Signal Hill and Lions Head. In the Winelands, our takeoff sites include Franschhoek, Paarl Rock and the Du Toitskloof Pass.
- We choose our final takeoff sites depending on the weather forecast. Safety and a quality flying experience dictate which of the sites we will operate at. You are welcome to state your preferred takeoff site, and we will do our best to accommodate your preference. We will communicate with you on the final flying site close to the time of your booking.
- Meeting points
- Franschhoek – park inside the car park for Mont Rochelle Nature Reserve. Our takeoff site is within the reserve. Please sign in and pay your entry fee for the reserve (R50pp) at the entrance office. The reserve staff will point you to our takeoff site, which is about 50m away. (https://goo.gl/maps/ZWeHzirddyWeEmJh8)
- Paarl Rock – we will meet you inside the parking lot for the Copper Club Paarl restaurant off Main Road. (https://g.page/cc-paarl?share)
- Du Toitskloof Pass – our takeoff site is on the west-facing embankment below the popular viewing site. After parking, please walk towards the northern corner of the parking lot from where you will be able to see our takeoff site (https://goo.gl/maps/SV8QmbFVyiVgpCgk7)
- Choice of the flying site:
Cape Town, Winelands