XC Adventure Flying. Climb aboard and prepare for a scenic tour like no other. Up to 1 hour flying time.
XC Adventure Tandem Paragliding
XC stands for Cross Country. In the aviation world, this means flying to a destination. In paragliding, xc is the pinnacle of paraglider flights. Paragliding xc flights involve taking off and flying away from the takeoff site. The world record xc flight is over 600kms! Our tandem xc flights take you on a journey along our mountains. Part of the thrill of xc flying is not knowing exactly where we will land, these decisions are made in flight. The goal with xc flights is to use thermals to get up high and then fly off to find the next thermal, and the next one, and the next one…
What is a tandem paragliding flight?
A tandem paragliding flight is the quickest and easiest way to experience the thrill of free flight while securely harnessed to one of our experienced and accomplished instructors. Adrenaline enthusiasts can live this adventure at any of our world-class takeoff sites: Signal Hill, Lions Head, Franschhoek, Paarl Rock, and the Du Toitskloof Pass.
Those interested in a tandem experience must meet all of our requirements (below). If you do not meet all our requirements, you will not be allowed to fly, and your deposit will not be refunded. We also suggest you read through the Important section (below) for information on preparing for your flight and what to expect on the day. For any other queries, please get in touch with our tandem reservation staff directly.
- Minimum Age: 6 years
- Minimum Height: 1.3 m (shorter pax by special arrangement)
- Maximum Height: 2.2 m
- Minimum Weight: 20.0 kg
- Maximum Weight: 100.0 kg (heavier pax by special arrangement)
- Fitness Level: Average
- What time to arrive:
- Please arrive 20min before your booked takeoff time.
- What to wear
- Please dress suitably and comfortably for your flight.
- Athletic, comfortable clothes are advised. A jacket/windbreaker is a MUST for XC FLIGHTS. We suggest jeans and long socks to keep you warm.
- Hiking boots, sneakers or sports shoes are ideal for your flight.
- If you need to wear prescription glasses or lenses during your flight, please do so. You don’t want to miss that view!
- Paragliding is a weather-dependent activity. High-speed winds, poor visibility, rain and low clouds are just some of the reasons that can delay or cancel our paragliding operations.
- Our team will announce a “standby” in case of bad weather, which means we have to put our operations on hold. Regular announcements will be made updating you on the conditions while you wait at our locations.
- If the weather shows no signs of improving, and we have to cancel operations, and you cannot reschedule for the next available date, you will receive a refund.
- Air School Paragliding is not liable for any costs (travel, stay, etc.) incurred by the individual in the instances mentioned above. Please see our Sales & Refund Policy for information.
- Given the popularity of paragliding in Cape Town, we suggest you book your flight in advance. If you are a tourist and are visiting Cape Town, we advise that you schedule your flight for the beginning of your trip in case it needs to be rescheduled due to bad weather.
- Reservations must be made through the live booking calendar on our official website.
- If you haven’t booked in advance, you may contact our tandem booking staff who will advise further.
- Request to reschedule
- Plans change. We understand that. In this case, bookings can be rescheduled up to 24 hours before their reservation date or risk losing their deposit.
- Please send our tandem reservation staff your request to reschedule your flight using via WhatsApp or Phone.
- On-site facilities
- Card payment facilities are available at all locations.
- Toilets facilities are available at Signal Hill and Franschhoek.
- There are kiosks selling snacks and refreshments at Lions Head and Signal Hill meeting points
- You are welcome to bring your own snacks/refreshments and make the most of your time out on our mountains
- Buy a gift certificate.
- You can purchase a gift certificate online for any location. It’s the perfect present for birthdays, graduations, anniversaries or when you have extreme-sports loving friends visiting.
- Please remember that everyone who paraglides with us must meet our requirements.
- Refund policy
- The deposit is refundable in the case of bad weather.
- We cannot issue refunds for (examples, but not limited to):
- Not meeting our weight requirements.
- Not showing up on time.
- Arriving under the influence of drugs/ and or alcohol.
- Pictures and video
- Our tandem pilots carry a specially mounted camera to take photos and video at various stages of the flight.
- While our pilots are highly trained and use the latest equipment, given the nature of the activity, if the camera equipment does (on the rare occasion) malfunction or there is a technical glitch that is beyond our control, the incident will be escalated to Air School Paragliding’s management for reviewal, and the customer may be eligible for a refund of R299 only (i.e. price of the photos and video). Please note, the decision of the management team will be final.
- Choice of the flying site:
- Our takeoff site is chosen dependent on the weather forecast. For XC flights we make use of Sir Lowrys Pass, Franschhoek, Paarl Rock, the Du Toitskloof Pass, Porterville and Piketberg
- Meeting points
- Depending on the flying site and your location, we will meet at a convenient location
- Choice of the flying site:
Cape Town, Winelands